Picture 7-1.

Perley Thomas car 924 is changing ends at the end of the Jackson line at the river, probably some time in the 1930s.  The neutral ground at this point was a foot or so higher than the roadway, so patrons at the terminal used the doors on the other side of the car to exit or enter from the neutral ground.  There is a wide black stripe along the center of the roof, perhaps an attempt to hide stains from sparks from the trolley wheel.  Jackson crossed several of the major uptown lines, then turned downtown and went to Canal Street.  After Jackson was converted to trolley coaches in 1947, the neutral ground on Jackson Ave. was substantially narrowed to provide more lanes for automobiles. Collections of Earl Hampton and Leo Sullivan

NOPSI_924-Jackson_at_river-1930s-2.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture