Pictures 9-11, 9-12, 9-13, and 9-14.

S. Claiborne cars came down Carondelet to Canal, then turned into the outer track on Canal Street, ran one block to St. Charles Street, then turned up St. Charles to begin their upbound runs.  These four June 10, 1947 pictures show S. Claiborne cars on Canal Street at St. Charles, loading passengers before turning up St. Charles Street.  The upper picture features car 928 loading passengers, and Cemeteries car 820 at the left on the inner riverbound track.  In the second picture, car 909 has paused on the outer track, and is ready to turn right into St. Charles Street for the trip to Howard Ave.  The third photo features car 920 from the opposite direction, waiting to make the turn.  At the left we see two White buses, the first signed Freret, the second displaying a Bus Garage sign.  In the background there is a Desire or Gentilly car turning into Bourbon St.  The car at the right is either a 400 on Tulane, or an 800 on Cemeteries or West End.  The bottom picture shows car 924, as the motorman looks back into his car at his passengers.  The woman at the right is dressed up, in suit, hat, and gloves, as any lady would do when going shopping “at Canal Street.”  She is waiting for the streetcar to pass in front of her on the inner riverbound track. — Fred Victor DuBrutz photos

NOPSI_928-SClaiborne+820-Canal+StCharles-1947-06-10.jpg

NOPSI_909-SClaiborne-Canal+StCharles-1947-06-10.jpg

NOPSI_920-SClaiborne+friends+Freret_bus-1947-06-10.jpg

NOPSI_924-SClaiborne+friends-Canal+StCharles-1947-06-10.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture