In the upper picture, car 877 has passed over the switch and is still facing upbound. The car is now facing the curve connecting to the S. Carrollton tracks. The activity visible in the foreground appears to be the construction of the terminal for the bus line which replaced the streetcar line in early 1953. That would date the picture to late 1952. Note the Katz & Besthoff drug store on the corner, visible behind the streetcar. This was a long time New Orleans chain store, well known in the city and surrounding area. This store building included doctors' offices on the second floor.
The lower photo, dated December 30, 1951, features car 800 on a rainy day at the stub terminal, waiting to load more passengers until departure time. The motorman is taking a break, standing on the front steps of the car.
During the 1940s, cars 800 and 877 would not usually have been assigned to S. Claiborne service. This would be more likely toward the end of streetcar service on S. Claiborne.
Previous Picture | Next Picture