These Tulane cars were photographed on the outer track of the layover area at the foot of Canal Street: from top to bottom, cars 813, 800, 814, 442, 800 (again), and 810. The top three pictures were taken June 10, 1947. Car 837 on the inner track in the top two pictures is working the Cemeteries line, and 855 is probably on that line also. There is a Car Stop sign on the light pole at the right. The third photo neatly lines up cars 814, 906, and 829 (left to right), probably on the Tulane, Cemeteries, and West End runs, respectively. — Fred Victor DuBrutz photos
The fourth photo features Tulane car 442 on the outer layover track in December 1945.
Car 800 is shown in the fifth picture on October 3, 1949 displaying its windshield wiper, probably the only car in the fleet to be so equipped. At this time, it also had window screens installed on the passenger windows. This was an experiment applied to a number of St. Charles and Tulane cars, intended to protect riders from the trees and shrubs along St. Charles Ave. However, they were unpopular with the riding public, and were removed. — Otto Goessl photo
In the sixth picture, taken on the last day of streetcar service on Tulane Avenue, January 7, 1951, we see 16-year-old railfan D. R. Toye, later to be a Jesuit priest, in the front window of car 810, holding up an issue of Trains Magazine.— Otto Goessl photo
When the Tulane cars begin their runs, they will switch to the inner track for the trip to Saratoga Street, which they will then follow up to Tulane Ave. Note that the right front and left rear doors of the 400-class cars, such as 442 here, are sliding doors, but on the 800-class cars, they are folding doors, the same as the other doors.
Previous Picture | Next Picture