The Brown hoist, late in its life, probably around 1952. It was built by the Brown Hoist Co. in 1913. In earlier times, it was used around the system wherever heavy lifting was required, but by the 1950s, it was confined to the Napoleon Yard complex at Napoleon and Tchoupitoulas. When the trolley wires were removed from Napoleon Yard, the hoist was powered by a cable. In this picture, it has been divested of its trolley pole. It was probably retired about 1953.
Previous Picture | Next Picture