Picture 17-12.3.

Car 971 appears to have just pulled into Napoleon Yard via the Tchoupitoulas Street connection from Napoleon Avenue, January 1, 1950.  Someone, probably the photographer, has rolled the route sign around to read Tchoupitoulas, a selection obsolete since 1929.  Note the nearest door: only half of it is open.  There was an experiment, tried out about this time on several cars, to provide a mechanism that allowed the motorman or the conductor to open only one leaf of the door, or both, as desired.  Eventually, the experimental door mechanisms were removed; none survived for more than a few years. Ed Hedstrom photo

NOPSI_971-NapoleonYard-Tchoupitoulas-fake-split_door-1950-01-01.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture