Picture 21A-1.

The Jefferson City RR was organized by Mr. Joseph Kaiser in 1863 to develop a franchise issued by the City of Jefferson, which was one of the uptown communities eventually absorbed into the City of New Orleans.  Service on Magazine Street in Jefferson probably began in 1864 (during the Civil War!).  The company was reorganized as the Magazine Street RR Co. in 1865.  The reverse of this ticket has the initials of two officers of the company, JK for Mr. Kaiser, and JC, who is unknown to us.  The little picture is very detailed, showing an early 6-window bob-tail horsecar, complete with the driver and his whip. Collection of Louis Hennick

Ticket-JeffCityRR.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture