A previous owner of this New Orleans Railway & Light Co. Canal Belt Line transfer has penciled in the year 1906. It is punched for the date December 9, for transfer from the Canal Belt Line to the Dauphine Line, with a time limit of 7:00 p.m. All the routes of both divisions are listed on this transfer. The Napoleon Ave. Line is listed, apparently meaning the now combined line formed by extending the “Royal Blue” in on Napoleon Ave. all the way to the end of the street at Tchoupitoulas Street. Another interesting line in the list is “So. Port” (Southport), a small shuttle operation near the Carrollton Station car barn from Carrollton Ave. to the gambling and “recreation” area near the parish line at Southport. From time to time, this operation had been part of other lines, and would be again. Note the little picture of a child at the upper right; apparently, a punch in that square would indicate that the transfer was valid only for a child. The company was constantly trying to ensure that transfers were presented for fare only by the persons to whom they were issued.
Previous Picture | Next Picture