|STBR||67||14' (poss. 16')||Brill No. 5 |
(see C p. 41)
|Brill||ON 2290||17 Dec. 88||1 car, LGT seats|
|Brill sent body to Daft factory in NJ where fitted with Daft motor, controls, Gibson Elect. Co. cells, arrived N. O. 4/6/89 (TD has best coverage, many articles up to end of battery car service in 1891). Car tested many times 1889-1890. Truck type a possibility only — no P exists, yet many press accounts TD & DP. Car's purpose: to test the storage battery technology, train motormen, acquaint the public. ET&M planned to build cars (assembling Brill components on contract), manufacture cells, also on contract (probably with Gibson) and operate these electric cars over all N. O. street railways, also by contract. Following order indicates intentions. (Note: the Daft motor in this car supposedly donated to Howard-Tilton Library, then subsequently donated to Engineering Division of the Smithsonian.)|
|STDR||1-5||“Standard 16' Body”||Brill(?)||Brill||ON 2954||8 Apr. 90||5 cars, LGT seats||promised 6/15/90|
|This order for bodies only. ET&M planned to fabricate trucks, all on contract from Brill. (Poss. Brill early type, 1 to 7.) Cars seated 13 ea. side, could run 96 miles between charges. Car 3 tested 8/8/90 (TD). No P.|
|Identical to order 2954, 35 contemplated but poss. only 20 built. All used on Coliseum (“Snake”) Line. Revenue service began Aug. 1890, shut down Apr. 1891. Not a single day were the battery cars able to run the line without the mule cars assisting! Cars stored in old Jefferson City RR barn with retired mule cars. Barn fire 9/30/95 (DP 10/1/95 p. 8) claimed 100 mule cars & 16 battery cars burned. Barn located on square Magazine-Octavia-Constance-Peters Ave., also called “old Magazine Street Car Line” barn.|
|Lucky were battery cars moved to Arabella for RB, “cars to be spliced, two into one new car” (DP 8/19/94) before fire. Five definitely RB, poss. few more. RB cars poss. 22' OB and were only ones using Brill style peaked arch (Tudor design) sash (see inset). No P except a portion of such a car in an 1897 Mardi Gras parade (SRJ). Cars numbered in low 300s, ahead of “Annunciation” cars (Pullman) — see below.|
|STDR||320-336||18' OB||McGuire A-1 suspension||Pullman||ON 844||Jan. 1896||17 cars (poss. incr. to 18 - 2/96)|
|These were called “Annunciation” cars — intended for service on that line. Had GE 800 motor and mechanical ventilator, P - N, S p. 114. LGT seats.|
|1896 Pullman order, 17 cars, on shop truck at builder. These were the “Annunciation” cars. Put on McGuire A-1 suspension trucks. — Louis Hennick Collection of The Historic New Orleans Collection|
|314||ANN 6/28/98||327||ANN 8/15/02, 12/24/02|
|315||TCH 2/26/98||328||ANN 5/11/97, 11/9/98, 1/9/00, TCH 4/28/02|
|316||ANN 10/11/00, HC 11/7/95, 11/17/95||329||TCH 12/20/01|
|318||ANN 5/4/96, PA 12/26/96||330||TCH 4/28/02|
|322||ANN 4/19/96||333||SP 8/30/01, TCH 6/15/98|
|324||TCH 12/18/96, 7/5/99||334||ANN 11/10/98, 3/1/99|
|325||ANN 4/1/99||336||ANN 3/31/98|
|326||ANN 11/11/96, 6/5/98, 6/12/98, 10/27/98, HC 4/10/96|
|McGuire 19-F 7' WB |
|St. Louis Car Co.||ON ——||1892||49 cars|
|LGT seats, other details S p. 111, P - S p. 109 & N. Truck order: Brill ON 4400, 10 No. 13 S. L. wrought iron frame, 36" WH 5/24/92 T-H WP 30 hp. motors begin shipment 7/20.|
|St. Louis 8||St. Louis Car Co.||ON ——||1892||1 car|
|P - S p. 121. RB 1895, closed platforms, conv. to private car “President”. Truck order Brill ON 6049 2 - type 22 27 Oct. 94. P - interior S p. 120. Another truck order: Brill ON 6437 Apr. 1895 4 - 33" WH “like 6049”. Yet another ON 6438 4 - 20" WH “like 6049”. Interior P - S p. 120 appeared in SRJ Oct. 1894 p. 40.|
|McGuire 19-F 7'WB||St. Louis Car Co.||ON ——||1893||20 cars identical to 1-49 of 1892|
|Six of the 1892 + 1893 orders SLD — 4 to Home Elec. Co., Baton Rouge (Vol. 1, p. 33 & 36) and 2 to Brockton & Plymouth St. Ry. (Mass.) S p. 111. Poss. 4 SLD to Biloxi, Miss. Street Railway.|
|DTDR||71-82||22'0" OB||American DT||American Car Co.||ON 120||Jan. 1895||12 cars|
|P - N (Amer. Car Co. builders P).
Poss. RT to ST ca. 1898-00. Came w/TV seats, poss. first elec. cars so
equipped, 16 seats. RB — spliced into trailers ca. 1903 at Canal Sta.,
N. O. Rys. See: Trailers, page cc
(splicing work by ex-NO&C RR MM Frank Rojo).
SRJ reported Apr. 1895, NO&C operating 78 cars.
|STDR||83-88||22'0" OB||Truck unknown||St. Louis Car Co.||ON ——||Aug. 1895||6 cars|
|Similar in construction to 71-82, except these
were wiresides. TP 3/23/95 p. 7 — no steps on side, aisle with
wicker seats TV. RB — spliced into DT trailers by Mr. Rojo at Canal
Sta. ca. 1903. See: Trailers, page cc.
NO&C operating 90 cars in 1897. In 1899, NO&C planned BLD 15 “summer cars”, but no car higher than no. 95 reported in press until after the Ford, Bacon & Davis types arrived.
|Lord Baltimore||American Car Co.||ON ——||1896||35 cars (ex Canal & Claib. 25-59)|
|Acquired 1899, merger with Canal & Claiborne
RR. These are the first of the famous Ford, Bacon & Davis design.
In 1900, NO&C listed operating 130 cars. See Canal & Claiborne listing for more FB&D details.
|Circa 1893, one of the St. Louis 1892 order, McGuire 19-F truck. This order inaugurated electric service Feb. 1, 1893 on the three NO&C lines. Cars painted “Napoleon Avenue”, “Carrollton Avenue”, and “Jackson Avenue”. — Louis Hennick Collection of The Historic New Orleans Collection|
|New Orleans & Carrollton car 84, probably in the Carrollton Station car barn, August 8, 1896. This was one of the last pre-Ford, Bacon & Davis cars bought by that railroad, a group of six cars, nos. 83-88, acquired from St. Louis Car Co. the previous year. Instead of solid sides with windows, these cars were open, with wire screens for the safety of the passengers, and curtains that could be pulled down in case of rain. Note the open wicker seat backs. The cars clearly were intended to provide passenger comfort in the hot, humid summers of New Orleans. The truck appears to be a McGuire 19 variation, with anti-gallop rods. These were not part of the original truck design, but an added feature, not necessarily supplied by McGuire. The glass in the side of the clerestory shows “St. Charles Ave”, while the name “Carrollton” is painted on the lower side of the car behind the car number. The conductor on the front platform with his coat open is John William Stroud. The other men are unidentified. About 1903, the bodies of these six cars were rebuilt by being spliced together to create long trailers for West End and (later) Spanish Fort train service. — Jeff Junker collection|
|New Orleans & Carrollton car 152 stands in the car barn yard with motorman and conductor at the ready to begin its day's run, probably in the 1910s. It is signed for the Claiborne Ave. line (i.e., North Claiborne), both in the clerestory window and by the hanging sign on the dash. The car barn is probably the Urquhart car barn, home for the Claiborne line. Most of the buildings visible in the photo were damaged or destroyed in the 1915 hurricane. The car is one of the second order of FB&D cars, delivered to the Canal & Claiborne RR in 1897 as numbers 50-59. In 1899, when the C&C was bought by the NO&C, the cars were renumbered 150-159. By the time of this picture, their vestibules had been enclosed (in 1904), and they had been converted to Pay As You Enter operation — note the dash sign “Pay Conductor On Entering”. Truck is a Lord Baltimore, with anti-gallop rods. — George Friedman collection|
Text copyright © 2008, 2009 Louis C. Hennick. Pictures copyright © 2009, 2015 by the persons credited. Picture captions copyright © 2009, 2015 Louis C. Hennick and H. George Friedman, Jr. All rights reserved.
Previous Page | Next Page
Appendix III Title Page & Contents
Computer Science Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Home Page
H. George Friedman, Jr. Home Page