THE 800s (CONT'D)

800 SCR 5/52 (Rev. Toye, henceforth “T”)    850 “Pur. 7/23” (NOPSI). Last 800 to operate in revenue service in N. O. 5/29/64 (but see no. 836). SLD Branford Elec. Ry. Assn. (now Shore Line). RG Beautifully restored — operating, 2007.
801 First arr. N. O. (NOS 9/25/22), SCR 4/53 T    851 Uncertain SCR 1953 G (P - N 1952), but indications was running in 1957 (3/20 P may be error in date).
802 Last car on Tulane Belt 1/7/51, SCR 4/53 T    852 SCR 5/52 T
803 “Pur. 7/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/9/64 O. A. Goessl (henceforth “G” — RTA confirms date)    853 Uncertain SCR date. Latest P date, Napoleon Yard scrap line, 1951.
804 “Pur. 7/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/17/64 G, RTA 1964    854 SCR 5/52 T
805 SCR 4/53 T    855 Uncertain SCR date. Latest P date, Desire, 7/46
806 SCR 2/55 T    856 Uncertain SCR date. Latest P date, TU Belt, ca. 1948.
807 SCR 4/53 T    857 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/15/64 G, RTA confirm.
808 SCR 4/53 T    858 Badly damaged 10/10/46 (TP article) Desire Line. Uncertain SCR date. P - N ca. 1950 with safety screens, on Belts.
809 SCR 4/53 T    859 SCR 5/52 T
810 SCR 2/55 T    860 P - TP 9/1/50 wreck. Badly damaged in collision with gas truck. Spilled, miracle no fire or deaths. Uncertain SCR date: 1950/51.
811 SCR 2/55 T    861 SCR 5/52 T
812 SCR 4/53 T    862 SCR 2/53 T
813 First to officially run after '29 strike. SCR 4/53 T    863 SCR 5/52 T
814 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/15/64 G, RTA confirm.    864 SCR 5/52 T
815 SCR 5/52 T    865 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI). Only 800 repainted 1950-64! SCR 6/15/64 G, RTA confirm.
816 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/12/64 G, RTA confirm.    866 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/17/64 G, RTA confirm.
817 SCR 4/53 T    867 SCR 12/48 T
818 SCR 4/53 T    868 SCR 5/52 T
819 SCR 6/50 T    869 Wreck 8/10/47, Gentilly Line run 7, SCR 5/52 T
820 SCR 6/50 T    870 SCR 12/48 T
821 SCR 6/9/64 G, RTA confirm    871 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/9/64 G, RTA confirm.
822 SCR 10/51 T    872 SCR 2/55 T
823 SCR 1961 (last seen Canal Sta. May 9 - W. T. Golson)    873 SCR 12/48 T
824 SCR 12/48 T    874 Uncertain SCR date, SC P 1953 G
825 SCR 2/55 T    875 SCR 5/52 T
826 SCR 10/51 T    876 SCR 5/52 T
827 “Pur. 11/22” (NOPSI), SCR 6/9/64 G, RTA confirm.    877 SCR 2/55 T
828 SCR 5/52 T    878 SCR 5/52 T
829 SCR 6/50 T    879 SCR 6/50 T
830 SCR 4/53 T    880 SCR 5/52 T
831 SCR 10/51 T    881 SCR 6/50 T
832 Called “the Desire car” due to 1948 photo. During WW II loudly painted w/silver roof for war bond drives (3 different schemes). Last used 5/28/64, SLD Pa. Ry. Mus. Assn. (Arden), still 5'2-1/2", operating. “Pur. 5/23” (NOPSI). Last trip on Canal 5/15, first shipped 6/15/64 G. Lady drove car into 832's side, car shipped to auto body shop, repaired, and is back in service.    882 SCR 10/51 T
833 “Pur. 5/23” (NOPSI), SCR 6/57 T    883 SCR 6/50 T
834 “Pur. 5/23” (NOPSI), SCR 2/55 T    884 SCR 5/52 T
835 “Pur. 5/23” (NOPSI). Wreck Dauphine St. xing - L&N loco 1230. SCR 10/51 T    885 SCR 5/52 T
836 Last used 5/29/64, SLD Conn. Elec. Ry. Assn., Windsor, Conn. (Warehouse Point). RG - beautifully restored - operating.    886 SCR 6/50 T
837 SCR 5/52 T    887 SCR 12/48 T
838 SCR 6/57 T    888 First 800 to be SCR, 6/47 T. Badly damaged 5/13/47, Desire Line run 10, collision with large truck. Demolished one end, platform, warped sides, twisted frame.
839 SCR 4/53 T    889 SCR 6/50 T
840 SCR 10/51 T    890 SCR 12/48 T
841 SCR 4/53 T    891 SCR 12/48 T
842 SCR 6/57 T    892 SCR 2/55 T
843 SCR 6/57 T    893 SCR 10/51 T
844 SCR 4/53 T    894 SCR 5/52 T
845 SCR 6/57 T    895 SCR 6/50 T
846 “Pur. 7/23” (NOPSI), only 800 w/striped stairwell, SCR 6/13/64 G, RTA. P - TP 7/5/87 Sec. G-10, Gentilly Line, Royal @ St. Peter, 3/10/44.    896 SCR 12/48 T
847 SCR 12/48 T    897 SCR 10/51 T
848 “Pur. 7/23” (NOPSI), unclear SCR date, late '62 - early '63 (ERA - P 3/63).    898 SCR 5/52 T
849 SCR 12/48 T    899 SCR 6/50 T. Used in work service 1/23/50 (dismantling West End Line) pulling cut-down bodied 900-class 901 and 917.

NOPSI_427-StCharles+848-Cemeteries-Canal+Univ-1947-06-10 Car 427 serving the St. Charles Belt, and car 848 on the Canal-Cemeteries line, offer a comparison of the front ends of the 400 and 800 type cars.  This is the corner of University Place and Canal Street.  The date is June 10, 1947. — Fred Victor DuBrutz photo, collection of George Friedman
NOPSI_809-WestEnd-CanalSt-1942-05-31 The 800s originally sported a frosted glass number panel in the upper sash adjacent to the right-hand (exit) folding doors, which displayed the car number after dark by the lights from within the car.  This feature was dropped during WW II.  Here are two views dated May 31, 1942 showing cars 809 and 813 on the West End line at the foot of Canal Street.
NOPSI_800-CanalSta Thie photo shows off car 800 with its frosted glass number panel, probably some time around 1940.  The car is awaiting the call to duty along with its mates in the yard of Canal Station. — Bert Ward photo, collection of George Friedman
NOPSI_800-StCharlesBelt-Carrollton_near_Washington Car 800 on the St. Charles Line on South Carrollton Avenue, soon after the St. Charles-Tulane belt operation stopped on January 8, 1951.  This car was unusual, and possibly unique, in that windshield wipers were added to the center end windows, along with a hook for the trolley retriever rope to keep it from fouling the wipers.  (Compare to the previous photo.)  The drawbridge over the New Basin Canal can be seen in the background on the left.  The canal was to be filled in to be used as expressway right of way, and an underpass was to be constructed for S. Carrollton Avenue.  The car is seen at the temporary terminal on S. Carrollton at Dixon.  After construction was completed, the line was cut back on August 10, 1952 to the present terminal on S. Carrollton at S. Claiborne. — D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri
NOPSI_802-Tulane+friend-on_Canal-1947-06-10 Tulane Belt car 802 and another 800 car pass on Canal Street, June 10, 1947.  Just a few years later, 802 would be the last streetcar to operate on the Tulane Belt. — Fred Victor DuBrutz photo, collection of George Friedman
NOPSI_813-Tulane-1947-06-10 Car 813 was the first car to run officially after the 1929 strike.  Here we see it almost 20 years later, on June 10, 1947, outbound on the Tulane Belt line.  This view is on Tulane Ave. near S. Broad St.  The building to the left is the Criminal Courts Building. — Fred Victor DuBrutz photo, collection of George Friedman
NOPSI_817-Tulane-NewBasinCanal Car 817 on the Tulane Belt line, on South Carrollton Avenue at the New Basin Canal drawbridge, probably some time in the late 1940s. — D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri
NOPSI_823-Tulane-Canal_foot-large_screens Screens were used circa 1948-51, only on cars on the Tulane and St. Charles Belt lines, to protect riders from shrubs on the St. Charles Ave. neutral ground.  They were unpopular, and did not last.  At least 42 of the 800s had screens, or mounting hardware for them, and possibly as many as 45 or more.  Here we see 823, 839, and 856 on Tulane Belt at the foot of Canal Street.  Car 823 displays the large screens that covered almost the entire window, while 839 and 856 are seen with the smaller screens. — Louis Hennick collection (car 823); George Friedman collection, from the Bill Volkmer collection (car 839); D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri (car 856)
NOPSI_831-StCharles-ShortSt NOPSI 831 on the St. Charles line, circa 1951, on St. Charles Ave. at Short Street.  The car has marks on the outside window posts indicating that it once had screens.  Note the paper sign taped to the front center window, which reads “FERN STREET ONLY”.  The car is one block past Fern St., and is being turned back, probably due to a Carnival (Mardi Gras) parade.  It will proceed one more block to the crossover, then return downtown from that point. — D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri

During World War II, NOPSI painted car 832 in a patriotic livery advertising war bond sales.  The message on the sides of the car varied somewhat from time to time.  The car moved around the system, appearing on various lines.  We see it here (1) blazoned “2nd War Loan”, (2) at the foot of Canal Street “Back The Attack”, (3) on Bourbon Street serving the Desire Line, and (4) again at the foot of Canal, signed for the Cemeteries Line “Keep On Buying”. — (2) detail from a Norm MacDonald photo, collections of Art Peterson and George Friedman; (4) Charles Houser photo
NOPSI_846-striped_stairwells-CanalSta-1964-04 Car 846 had striped stairwells, as seen here in the yard outside Canal Station in April 1964.  No other Perley Thomas 800 car was so treated, although several 900s had this feature. — Louis Hennick collection
NOPSI_868-Tulane-leaving_CarrolltonSta Tulane Belt car 868 is leaving Carrollton Station on Willow Street, and will turn to its right to go into service, heading downtown on S. Carrollton and St. Charles Avenues.  Note the dual-gauge track, a remnant of the days (ending in 1931) when the St. Charles and Tulane Belt lines and the S. Claiborne Shuttle were standard gauge.  (The Belt lines were converted in 1929, but the S. Claiborne Shuttle remained standard gauge to the end, in 1931.)  Leonidas bus 1746 is a White model 788, one of 80 built in 1948.  NOPSI bought 339 of them between 1940 and 1948, making them the most numerous type of bus on the company's roster. — D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri
NOPSI_887-Gentilly-RoyalSt Gentilly car 887 heads toward Canal Street on Royal, using track shared with the famous Desire Line, probably some time in the 1940s. — Collection of Earl Hampton
NOPSI_898-Desire A real streetcar named Desire, car 898 is at the outer end of the Desire Line at Tonti and France Streets, taking break time before leaving on its next upbound (inbound) trip.  Car 884 is arriving in the background. — Collection of George Friedman
NOPSI_888-Desire-damaged-CarrolltonSta-1947-05-13 This streetcar named Desire lost an argument with a large truck.  Car 888 is seen here on May 13, 1947 on Jeannette St. adjacent to Carrollton Station, where it has apparently been towed.  Yes, this end of the car looks fine, but look around at the other end—it is simply gone!  In addition to the destruction of the vestibule, the car frame was bent.  Rather than being repaired, the car was scrapped, the first of the 800s to leave the roster. — Charles Franck photos, collection of Earl Hampton (upper photo), The Historic New Orleans Collection (lower photo)

It is early 1950, and the West End Line has been closed.  Car 899 is being used to help dismantle the line.  The New Basin Canal, soon to be filled in, is in the background.  These pictures show 899 pushing at least two different trailers.  The two that have been identified had been made by cutting down the seriously damaged and retired cars 901 and 917.  (See the Service Records for cars 901 and 917 on page y.)  In the fourth picture, note the end of trailer 917 at the left edge of the photo.  The fifth picture, taken at Napoleon Yard February 2, 1950, also shows a glimpse of center-dump motor car 054.  In June, car 899 was itself scrapped.
— D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri (top picture), Bill Volkmer (second picture), Otto Goessl (third and fourth pictures), Louis Hennick Collection of The Historic New Orleans Collection, Otto Goessl photo (fifth picture)
NOPSI_865-B-Canal From 1950 to the end of the Canal Line in 1964, when the last of the 800s were retired, only one was repainted, car 865.  Here is the result, seen in service on the Canal Line near Canal Station in the 1960s.  Note the gleaming paint, the cream front window posts, and the lack of striping on the front dash. — Otto Goessl photograph
NOPSI_832-Arden-2006-08-13 Today, only three 800s survive, all in museums.  Each has been meticulously restored, even including the frosted number panel in the window sash behind the right front (exit) door.  Here is a 2006 view of 832 at the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum at Washington, Pennsylvania.  This museum uses the same 5'2½" gauge track as New Orleans, so the car was put into museum service immediately on its arrival from New Orleans in 1964.  Its last day to run in its home city before shipping to Pennsylvania was May 28, 1964. — Joseph Lance photograph
WhsePt-029 The second of the three surviving 800s is car 836, which lives on at the Connecticut Trolley Museum at Warehouse Point.  It is seen here in July of 2008, with another retired car in the background.  Operation at this museum is on standard gauge (4'8½") track. — Earl Hampton photograph
Branford-038 Car 850 has found its retirement home at the Shore Line Trolley Museum at Branford, Connecticut.  It is seen here in July 2008 in front of the Sprague Building on the museum grounds.  This museum is also a standard gauge operation.  In 2007, after completion of a ten-year restoration, car 850 toured the United States as a New Orleans promotion. — Earl Hampton photograph

Text copyright © 2008, 2010, 2011 Louis C. Hennick.  Pictures copyright © 2010 by the persons credited.  Picture captions copyright © 2010, 2011, 2016 H. George Friedman, Jr.  All rights reserved.


Previous Page | Next Page

Appendix III Title Page & Contents

Computer Science Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Home Page

H. George Friedman, Jr. Home Page