Picture 9.

This picture, dated Nov. 18, 1860, features the U. S. Custom House, on the downtown side of Canal between Decatur and Peters, still under construction (compare its images in Pictures 10 and 11).  This venerable landmark, started in 1848 and not completed until 1881, is still in use today.  We see again the Canal Street neutral ground before streetcars, with the post and chain fence, as well as several omnibuses. T. Bailey, collection of Eugene R. Groves

Groves-Custom1a.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture