Picture 35.

A closer view of Christ Church, the third church building of this congregation.  Their first two churches stood at the corner of Canal and Bourbon Streets.  This building was erected at Canal and Dauphine in 1847, and stood until 1883.  At that time, the congregation moved uptown, building their fourth church at St. Charles and Sixth Street.  It originally had a steeple reminiscent of the one seen here, but the steeple was destroyed in the great hurricane of September 1915, and never rebuilt.  Note the ornate columned buildings next to the church. S. T. Blessing

Stereo3A1.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture