Picture 3-3 and 14-4.
Car no. 12 was the third electric streetcar, and the first open car,
to run in Champaign-Urbana, entering service April 9, 1891. It was
probably built by Brownell. It had a 20 foot body and 5 foot platforms,
seating 40 passengers on its 8 full-width benches. There was no aisle;
the conductor rode the running boards to collect fares from the passengers.
Note the concrete loading platforms on each side of the track, which runs
through grass. When Green Street was paved, the track was placed
at the north side of the street rather than in the street. — Melissa Chambers
(Harris family collection)