The power plant in 1894. This is probably its original form.
According to the local newspapers, it was under construction from October
1892 to November 1893. It was built over its predecessor, a former
sugar factory, with no interruption in service. When the new building
was complete, the old sugar factory inside it was torn down and removed.
The structure was added to many times over the years. The building
seen partially at the left in this picture is the Tremont Street car barn.
— C. Trego and O. E. Goldschmidt, Tests of Efficiency of the U. & C. Electric
Street Railway, University of Illinois thesis, 1894