Picture 14A-1.
Car no. 10 was the first electric streetcar in Champaign-Urbana, entering service in October 1890 when the electric route opened between Hill and Neil Streets in downtown Champaign, and Wright and Green Streets at the University.  Cars 10 and 11 were 16 foot 7 window closed cars built by the Brownell Car Co. in 1890.  This picture, taken from the background of a larger view, shows car 10 in its original configuration, with open platforms and a Bombay roof.  Unfortunately, this is the best resolution possible for this picture. Champaign County Historical Society (detail from #240 lower)

Previous Picture | Next Picture