Pictures 14A-4 and 14A-5.
Car no. 12 was the third electric streetcar, and the first open car, to run in Champaign-Urbana, entering service April 9, 1891.  It was probably built by Brownell.  It had a 20 foot body and 5 foot platforms, seating 40 passengers on its 8 full-width benches.  There was no aisle; the conductor rode the running boards to collect fares from the passengers.  The upper picture shows car 12 along Green Street in the 1890s.  In the lower picture, dated 1910, the car is beginning to show its age, especially on the dash. Melissa Chambers (Harris family collection) (upper), Illinois Power Co. Archives (lower) (The upper picture is the same as Picture 3-3.)

Previous Picture | Next Picture