Picture 14A-7.
No. 17 and its sister car, no. 16, were acquired in 1892.  They were the largest cars in Champaign-Urbana at that time.  The Champaign County Gazette compared them favorably to the finest steam railroad Pullman “Palace” cars.  The interiors featured solid cherry panels, brass trimmings, and upholstered seats.  This picture, a detail taken from a larger photo, shows no. 17 in front of the Tremont Street car barn during the 1890s. — Melissa Chambers (Harris family collection)

Previous Picture | Next Picture