Picture 14A-29.
Cars no. 107-115 were the second group of Birney cars in Champaign-Urbana.  They were built in 1922 by American Car Co. on order #1315, and delivered in November.  No. 110 is seen here on Main Street in Champaign, about to turn south onto Neil Street to begin the return trip to Urbana on the Short Line.  This picture was probably taken on the last day of streetcar service in Champaign-Urbana, November 10, 1936.  About to be retired, no. 110 is showing its age; note the deterioration of the roof over the front vestibule. Champaign County Historical Society (#238 lower), from Champaign News-Gazette archives

Previous Picture | Next Picture