Track no. 4 to this car barn is being installed or replaced.
Car no. 33, at the left, and no. 42, in the center, are both American or
Brill Car Co. products, built just a few years apart (about 1902 and about
1906, respectively). No. 33 is signed for the Neil Street line, which
provided local service on the ITS interurban tracks from the city limits
on W. John Street to the Wabash tracks on N. Neil. No. 42 is signed
for the New & John branches of the main line, meaning that its western
terminus was at Green and Prospect on the New Street route, and that it
used E. John to get to the University campus before going to downtown Urbana.
The cab-on-flat work motor at the far right was probably no. 207, which
was built in the company shops about 1902.
— Don T. Thrall photo, William C. Janssen collection
Previous Picture |