Class A locomotive 1560 at the Danville power house. It was built in 1907 by American Locomotive Co., going into service in November, and was retired and sold for scrap to Purdy Co. of Chicago, July 16, 1951. This photo is dated June 24, 1956, which is almost five years after its retirement, and more than four years after the IT interurban ended service to Danville. It seems possible that Illinois Power Co. bought the loco from Purdy and retained a small amount of electrified track for a few years after 1952, to service the power plant. (This might explain the extreme slack seen in the trolley wire.) It is also quite possible that the date on the photograph is simply wrong.
Previous Picture | Next Picture