Picture 14-23

In 1915, construction was started on a 1300-foot subway (or underpass) to carry streetcars, and later automobiles, under the Wabash, C&EI, and Big Four railroad tracks on East Fairchild Street.  It was opened to traffic on August 7, 1916.  This photo from an antique postcard shows a streetcar in the subway, with railroad cars passing above, and illustrates the open top and the concrete struts that span the roadway. Bregstone

Danv-Subway-EFairchild.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture