Picture 14-29

Toward the end of Danville service on the IT in 1952, the Louisville Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) chartered motor 277 and trailer 532 for a St. Louis to Danville farewell trip.  Here we see the train making its way west from Danville, probably near Hillery.  The railroad at the left is the Peoria & Eastern, part of the CCC&StL (the Big Four), part of the New York Central System.  The small square signs on the dash of car 277 read:
On the left,
NRHS
LOUISVILLE
CHAPTER
FAREWELL TRIP
ST LOUIS
DANVILLE
       On the right,
Natl Ry Hist Soc
Louisville
Chapter
FAREWELL TRIP
TO
DANVILLE ILL
Seth E. Steventon photograph.  Thanks to Charles Amstein for the readings of the dash signs, and to John Ellis for help identifying the location of the photo.

IT_277+532-Danv-1952.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture