In 1898, New Orleans Traction Co. celebrated the second anniversary of its Employees Aid Association with a Canal Street parade of decorated streetcars from each of its seven stations (car houses). This car represented Canal Station. It is decorated with flags, bunting, palm fronds, and what appear to be clumps of Spanish moss, with two costumed children along for the ride. The decorated car is one of the open cars with which the New Orleans companies experimented for summer comfort around the beginning of the twentieth century. There were never many of this type; a few years later, in 1902, this company reported a fleet of 307 closed streetcars and only 49 open cars.
Previous Picture | Next Picture