New Orleans City RR car 97 in a car barn, probably either Magazine Shops or Arabella Station. This was one of the “1894 Brills,” seen on its original Brill 22-E maximum traction double trucks. This car was part of an order of 50 cars, numbers 66-115, placed with the J. G. Brill Co. in February 1894, for delivery in June and July. Later, this class of car was changed to a single truck, because the maximum traction trucks were prone to derail in New Orleans. Note the Magazine route sign and, hanging below the platform hood, a removable wooden sign saying Station Only. We see quite a range of people: the very serious motorman standing at attention at his controls; the uniformed and non-uniformed company men standing in the doorway and by the side of the car; the sweeper with his broom; and a derbied gentleman with two children sitting inside the car. One can even make out some of the advertising signs inside the car.
Previous Picture | Next Picture