Pictures 1-15 and 1-16.

For many years, the old Clio line ran out its namesake street to Magnolia, which it followed over to Erato and returned.  In 1901, it was extended up Magnolia to Seventh Street, and in 1904 was further extended up Magnolia to Napoleon, then over Napoleon to Freret, which it followed all the way to Broadway.  It also ran in on Broadway to Maple, where it met the Coliseum “Snake” line (so nicknamed because it twisted all over uptown New Orleans).  However, in 1910, the Carondelet line took over the Freret Street trackage, including the leg on Broadway to Maple.  This photo is believed to show Clio car 55 on Broadway at its terminal at Maple Street.  The car is facing the “wrong” way on Broadway; the crew has changed ends, and the car will shortly take the crossover in front of it to the right-hand track as it begins its next run downbound toward Canal Street and the French Quarter.

New Orleans had four streetcars numbered 55, one each owned by the New Orleans & Carrollton, the Orleans RR (ORR), St. Charles St. RR (SCSRR), and N. O. Traction Co.  This one is most likely the car 55 of the ORR or the SCSRR, both of which were similar FB&D cars.  ORR lines were all on the downtown side of the city.  On the other hand, Clio was a SCSRR line, so this car is likely the SCSRR car 55.  That car was one of a group of cars numbered 51-80 acquired in October 1901 from St. Louis Car Co.  As delivered, the cars had open platforms; in 1904, the vestibules were enclosed to the form seen here.  The route sign can be seen both above the front center window, and in the glass of the front clerestory panel.  The colors are reported by Hennick & Charlton to have been red and white.

The second picture is a closeup detail from the first, giving us a better view of car 55 itself. — Michael Mizell-Nelson, “Clio streetcar, early 1900s,” New Orleans Historical, accessed October 8, 2013,



Previous Picture | Next Picture