Pictures 9-54 and 9-55.

In the last few years of the Napoleon and S. Claiborne streetcar lines, their cars were stored at Napoleon Yard, at the foot of Napoleon Ave. on the river side of Tchoupitoulas Street.  Here are two photos of cars in that storage yard.  The upper, dated September 1, 1950, shows car 954 awaiting its next call to service, amid stacks of ties avalable for track repair or reconstruction.  Note the absent ad on the front dash, and the darker, unweathered paint where the ad would be.  The second photo, undated but probably taken around the same time, features car 967 on the Yard storage track.  Note the stacks of rails stored next to the track: T rails in the stack closer to the streetcar, girder rails in the stack to our left.  Girder rail was typically used for street running and in the paved section of the Canal Street neutral ground, while T rail was typically used for unpaved neutral ground trackage. Otto Goessl photo (upper), Walter Broschart photo (lower)

NOPSI_954-SClaiborne-NapoleonYard-1950-09-01.jpg

NOPSI_967-SClaiborne-NapoleonYard.jpg

Previous Picture | Next Picture