Here is ex CTA car 1796 next to a loading dock filled with bales of scrap paper, which it was typically assigned to move around. The car was built by American Car & Foundry in 1907 as trailer number 287 (later 1287), and in 1913 was converted to a motor car numbered 1796. It was acquired from Chicago in July 1958. It was not as long or as wide as the Brill car. Like that car, it has had its other side removed for ease of loading and unloading. Note that both trolley poles are up, implying that the operator is changing ends to make a return trip. This photo is dated January 1960.
Previous Picture | Next Picture