The original streetcar line on Napoleon Ave. was a branch of the New Orleans & Carrollton, which ran from St. Charles Ave. to the river. The Orleans & Jefferson was chartered in June 1897 to build on Napoleon Ave. away from the river from St. Charles Ave. out, and then along various streets to the cemeteries area. The O&J began construction, including much grading, and took delivery of some track materials, but it was not financiallly stable. The project was rescued by the formation of another company, the New Orleans & Pontchartrain, which was chartered July 8, 1901. The NO&P was in turn leased to New Orleans Rys. Co., which completed the project January 1, 1903, as the “Royal Blue” line. This certificate for 500 shares of the O&J was issued April 8, 1901. Its Cox catalog number is ORL-333-S-50. It was apparently printed by James Buckley & Co. of New Orleans, whose inscription is printed in very small print at the lower left of the certificate.
Previous Picture | Next Picture