|STDR||1-50||16' OB||McGuire 19||St. Louis Car Co.||ON ——||Dec. 1892||50 cars|
|Three types of cars in this order, no orderly assignment of
numbers grouping the cars in separate classes! DP 8/19/94 mentions
30 closed and 20 opens (some of the closed were “wireside” types — screens
instead of side panels, rocker panels in place). Article states (also)
“16 large closed” (first of the Brills ordered 1893-94).
Cars ordered for Hart franchises numbers 1 & 2 (Peters Ave., “back o' town” to Canal St., another to cross Canal St., a long line uniting upper & lower parts of the city). DP 2/10/93 p. 10 notified the cars had left St. Louis, & DP 2/18/93 that ten cars had reached N. O., commenting on the “wine colored” livery. Cars sat inside for over a year until (DP 8/19/94) the first trip “over the new Judah Hart Line” on Aug. 18th. Excellent P car 13 (wireside) S p. 111.
Article in “Looking Back” by Marjorie Roehl (TP - date not avail.) titled “Little 50” described as a small closed car, as contrasted with its larger sister car of same “name” (pictured in woodcut line drawing in the article with what appears to be a Lord Baltimore truck and Herr fender, dating the photo at or after 1912, when this fender was developed in N. O. and attached to many cars). This casts doubt the 1893-built 50 (22' Brill) became a private car. The 1918 roster states the NORy&L Co. private car was a 22' Brill; there were 25 other 22' Brills in service in N. O. however, so any one of those could have had the honor (see: Private Cars p. dd). “Little 50”, the article continued, was a “Jonah” or “jinx or hoodoo” ran on Peters Ave. line, then to the Tchoupitoulas line, then to the Henry Clay line, finally cut in half by an Illinois Central loco. circa 1922 (yet research failed to encounter that event!).
Car 32, one of the 1892 St. Louis opens reduced to work service, all seats
and some roof supports removed, circa 1910.
— Louis Hennick Collection of The Historic New Orleans Collection
A sharp example of a closed body car from the Dec. 1892 St. Louis Car Co.
order for 50 cars, some closed, others wireside “summer” design or fully open
(no aisle). This is one just refurbished and renumbered by the Crescent
City RR Co., circa 1898. Car 314 has McGuire 19 truck. (See
S p. 111 for wireside and S p. 110 for one of the opens from this order.
There was no numerical order neatly grouping the three types.) Most of
the renumbered cars in the low 300s were the spliced storage battery cars (see
page g). Unknown how many of 314's sisters were
renumbered. Location is Magazine Shops. See S p. 213 for Magazine
Shops track map. — George Friedman collection
|1||— 4/16/94||32||TCH 7/21/01, P - N OPEN|
|3||AN 9/27/95, 11/3/95 “summer” OPEN||33||COL 7/25/95, VI 3/21/97 civil ct. case 47996 8/7/95 OPEN|
|4||TCH 5/7/95||34||TCH 11/26/01|
|5||MG 7/1/99||35||AN 8/27/95, MG 6/21/97|
|6||HC 8/5/97||36||COL 4/15/97, 5/6/97 civil ct. case 53661 4/14/97 OPEN|
|8||PA 9/24/94, VI 2/4/98||37||PA 4/8/97|
|10||AN 6/2/95, COL 6/28/98 P - N OPEN||38||PA 7/19/95|
|11||PA 9/30/94, 7/31/98||39||TCH 6/6/95|
|12||PR 10/4/95, PA 5/13/98||40||MG 8/9/99|
|13||— 5/14/97, P - S p. 111 WIRESIDE||41||PA 8/16/94, 8/20/94, TCH 8/12/98|
|14||— 7/26/03 “small car, trolley party”*||42||HC 11/27/95, PA 4/18/96, 3/19/97, SP 2/15/00|
|15||PA 9/18/94, COL 9/9/96||43||PA 8/17/95|
|16||PA 5/19/97||44||SP 3/2/00|
|17||TCH 8/2/95||45||HC 7/1/99|
|18||VI 3/1/00||46||PA 8/24/94|
|19||P - N OPEN||47||PA 8/24/99 hit by loco while pulling another streetcar, TCH 2/3/00|
|20||COL 9/1/95 descr. accident suggested WIRESIDE||48||VI 1/19/01|
|21||— 7/26/03 “small car, trolley party”||49||HC 12/3/97, PR 1/14/99, TCH 2/3/00|
|23||COL 8/27/99 “trolley party”||50||PA 11/28/94, 3/8/95, TCH 4/21/95, HC 1/16/98 CLOSED as described by Mrs. Roehl's article.|
|24||PA 6/30/97, VI 3/23/98, COL 6/26/00|
|26||COL 9/27/95, VI 8/15/97, CA 9/25/99 (trolley party), PR 6/26/00|
|28||PA 10/5/94, 7/26/03 (trolley party)|
|30||PA 6/26/95 P - N WIRESIDE|
|*||Note: Newspapers at the turn of the century
often used the term “trolley” but as time elapsed the term “streetcar” — in
N. O. — has acquired the popularly accepted use, even in newspapers.
“Trolley parties” usually made use of an open car, so nos. 14, 21, 23, 26 & 28 are probably also open cars.
There were 201 (poss. 202) cars in this seven-order purchase. Two basic body sizes, 20' OB and 22' OB. The first three orders had notched sash frames on the sides (76 cars) while the rest had arched windows. Single sash lowered into pocket below elbow rail, but with part of sash above — uncomfortable. Cars equipped with Brill 22-E “Eureka” trucks but had difficulties with derailments. Perhaps all were RT over several years. Car 89 had McGuire A-1 suspension truck P - S p. 112. Car 94 on Brill 21-E truck P - N; car 187 had St. Louis 8 truck P - S p. 111; car 288 had Brill 21-C truck P - S p. 116. Several other P showing cars ST at N. The 22-E had 33" wheels on motored axle. Cars delivered with Crawford fenders, but beginning ca. 1912 were fitted with Herr fenders (S p. 114).
SRJ Sept. 1894 p. 544 “Cars 20' over end panels” (OB), 7'8" at belt rail (width), twin opening doors at bulkhead, drop sash. Inside finish: “cherry throughout”, decoration known as “Italian finish” designed for Brill especially by Italian artist. Headlinings, ventilators, glass, etc. decorated to correspond with interior finish. 26 in operation now, 50 more in a month. SRJ Nov. 1894 p. 745, more descr., cars designed specifically for “ease of riding”. SRJ Oct. 1896 p. 613 — cars had “Palace No. 2 finish throughout.” Their numbers in N. O. exceeded only by the FB&D cars. All deliv. with LGT seats, conv. completely to TV seats by 1903.
Text copyright © 2008, 2009 Louis C. Hennick. Pictures copyright © 2009 by the persons credited. Picture captions copyright © 2009 Louis C. Hennick and H. George Friedman, Jr. All rights reserved.
Previous Page | Next Page
Appendix III Title Page & Contents
Computer Science Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Home Page
H. George Friedman, Jr. Home Page