New Orleans Public Service Inc. (NOPSI, never NOPS) displayed this large sign on the lakeward side of the main Canal Station building. The lettering above the sign reads: “Transit Department / Canal Station and Bus Garage”. The area behind the sign was paved for diesel bus parking. Beyond is Warren Easton High School. The date is Sunday, Aug. 25, 1963. The lower photo, taken around 1950, shows car 920 inbound in Canal line service, passing the bus storage yard, which is filled with White buses awaiting assignment to duty. For many years, the White buses were the backbone of the bus fleet.
Previous Picture | Next Picture