Car no. 17 passes Thornburn School along the private right-of-way (Railroad
Street) in Urbana. This picture could have been taken any time between
1896, when Thornburn was built as Urbana's high school, and 1907, when
double track was laid. No. 17 and its sister car, no. 16, were acquired
in 1892. They were the largest cars in Champaign-Urbana at that time.
The Champaign County Gazette compared them favorably to the finest
steam railroad Pullman “Palace” cars. The interiors featured solid
cherry panels, brass trimmings, and upholstered seats. They probably
received the vestibules seen in this picture during the winter of 1896-97.
— Champaign County Historical Society (#55 lower)