The test car is eastbound at the Ogden station stop on the Illinois
Terminal interurban in 1937. Illinois route 49 is behind the car.
The Peoria & Eastern RR and U. S. route 150 are to our right, parallel
to the interurban tracks. There was a wye at Ogden, originally built to
connect the main line to the branch line to Homer. After abandonment of
the line to Homer in 1928, the wye was retained, along with 2.7 miles of track
for freight service to the State Line Elevator. The switch connecting to
the branch line is out of the picture, ahead of the car.
Several people can be made out inside the car,
in addition to the obvious individual framed by the open window.
It seems likely that this was a class taking a field trip on the car.
The motorman was probably a student or a professor. (It is not known
whether the Illinois Terminal provided a pilot on such occasions.)
Previous Picture |