This composite picture postcard shows six tiny scenes in downtown Danville. Starting with the center picture, then proceeding clockwise from lower left, we have: Southwest Corner of Public Square (where the first interurban station would shortly be located), Masonic Temple, City Hall, Northeast Corner of Public Square, North Vermilion Street, and East Main Street. The message on the card, and the postmark, are dated Aug. 31, 1905. Perhaps the most notable among the scenes shown, despite its small size, is the center view, which features one of the first type of electric streetcars (see Group 2), and is probably older than the other scenes. None of the other streetcars is identifiable, although several appear to be open cars.
Previous Picture | Next Picture