Pictures 14.5-2, 14.5-3, 14.5-4, 14.5-5, and 14.5-6

Five views of the scene on S. Vermilion Street, looking toward the west side of the street.  The top view features car 263 in 1952, wearing the orange livery adopted in the 1930s.  It has just left W. Main Street, marked by the flagpole in the background.  This car was the last survivor of its class, which originally included ten cars, 260-269.  Built in 1911 by the Danville Car Co., they were rebuilt and modified several times over the years, most notably in 1926, when half of the class was dismantled for parts to rebuild the other half.  The other pictures were taken in front of the interurban depot in the next block of S. Vermilion Street.  The depot is the building at the left, with the sign “Illinois Power Company”.  We again see a 1952 view of car 263.  Ahead of the car are track switches leading into sidings at the left.  The track in S. Vermilion Street is basically a southbound single track, but in front of the depot there is a long siding.  The interurban car is on the main southbound track.  The next three pictures show cars 284 and 285, members of the class 273-285 built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1913, and currently painted in the blue livery adopted in the late 1940s.  In the third picture, we see motor car 284 pulling trailer 517 on January 3, 1952.  It has arrived as eastbound train 60, and will shortly depart westbound as train 63.  The fourth photo, taken March 31, 1952, is of car 285.  The fifth picture is a 1953 view of car 284 in front of the depot. — James A. Stitzel photograph (second picture), Charles Able photographs (third and fourth pictures)






Previous Picture | Next Picture